This course is aimed at experienced domestic and commercial electrical operatives who wish to include solar photovoltaics in their offering. Completion of this course will provide you with a Level 3 Certification, increasing your credibility and giving you the competitive edge, as well as showing your customers that you are trained to the highest of standards.
You need to hold a Level 3 Electrotechnical NVQ qualification or similar, along with a current BS7671 qualification, to enrol on this course.
You will be asked to provide copies of certificates by email to the Training Centre.
This course will enable you to meet the training entry requirements for the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS).
The Solar Photovoltaic Installation Course will provide candidates with detailed explanations as well as practical examples of the Applicable Regulations and Guidance, and will cover the following topics;
- -Background to market and grant funding routes (including MCS)
- -Regulations and standards
- -Health & Safety considerations
- -AC & DC theory
- -PV cell types and benefits
- -PV external and internal site survey requirements
- -Solar PV circuit design
- -PV system design and integration
- -Setting to work and commissioning
- -Solar PV servicing and fault finding
By the end of this course you will;
- -Know the health and safety risks and safe systems of work associated with solar photovoltaic system installation work
- -Know the requirements of the relevant regulations/ standards relating to practical installation, testing and commissioning activities for solar photovoltaic system installation work
- -Know the fundamental differences between a/c and d/c circuits within a solar photovoltaic system
- -Know the purpose of solar photovoltaic system components
- -Know the types, silicon characteristics and typical conversion efficiencies of solar photovoltaic modules
- -Know the fundamental design principles used to determine solar photovoltaic system module array size and position requirements
- -Know the preparatory work required for solar photovoltaic system installation work
- -Know the layouts and the requirements for installing solar photovoltaic module arrays
- -Know solar photovoltaic system a/c and d/c circuit installation layouts within the scope of the relevant engineering recommendation for grid tied systems
- -Know solar photovoltaic system protection techniques and components
- -Know the requirements to test and commission solar photovoltaic systems
- -Know the requirements to handover solar photovoltaic systems
- -Know how to plan and prepare for the installation of a solar photovoltaic system
- -Know how to install solar photovoltaic system components
- -Know how to inspect and test a new solar photovoltaic system installation
- -Know how to commission a new solar photovoltaic system installation
- -Know how to handover a new solar photovoltaic system installation
- -Know the requirements for the routine inspection, service and maintenance of solar photovoltaic system installations
- -Know how to undertake the routine service and maintenance of a solar photovoltaic system installation
- -Know how to diagnose faults in solar photovoltaic system installations
- -Know how to undertake fault diagnosis work on solar photovoltaic system installations
- -Know how to rectify faults in solar photovoltaic systems
- -Know how to undertake fault rectification work on solar photovoltaic system installations
How will I learn and be assessed?
The Solar Photovoltaic Installation Course entails both classroom and practical training, and there will be a practical observed assignment, theoretical and multiple-choice assessment at the end of day 3. The assessments are open book and use the applicable standards and regulations. During the training candidates will have the opportunity to work with two different types of fully functioning modules and inverters, including roof mounting kits as well as work on live equipment within a functioning plant room.
What do I need to bring to the course?
All candidates must bring their BS7671 – 18th Edition – IET Wiring Regulations book.
Who is the awarding organisation for this course?
You will receive your certificate approximately 4 to 6 weeks following successful completion of the course.